Thursday, June 14, 2012

Newbie


Last week, I was challenged by my friend Liz to start a twitter account. Actually, the conversation went more like this:
Me: “I just don’t think I want to. I don’t even have a smartphone!”
Liz: “DO IT!”

I took that as a personal challenge to get twitter and become an efficient tweeter. As I started in on all of the new bird talk, I began to think about what I had just done. “What if I tweet something that is dumb? What if I don’t do the #hashtag or @ thing right? Why am I even starting this?” I began to doubt my somewhat perfectionistic self. Why? I did not want to make a mistake. If I messed up, someone would see it and know that I am not right all the time. That fear of being wrong ran through my head all day. Even with it, I decided that I would try tweeting, and let the social media world know that I had begun the world of twitter.

Twitter is just a small thing, but so many times, I find myself thinking those questioning thoughts. I wonder if people will see me for who I am- someone who is NOT perfect all the time. That scares me! Instead, I should think thoughts that say, “This is new to me. I might not do it exactly right, but I can learn from my mistakes.” When I think back on the greatest things I have learned, they largely are the product of being imperfect.

I am working on taking on a new guiding principle.

“For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline.”
-2 Timothy 1:7

Instead of being timid, I am working to show the power, love and self-discipline I have been given.

Here goes nothing… Erin Daninger is not perfect.
She is, however, proud to be a dairy farmer’s daughter, follower of Christ, and doing her best to be herself. She is created by God and made in His image. She will no longer be an example of timidity.

What are you scared to try?
Are you portraying timidity, or are you showing the world power, love, and self-discipline?

Just a few thoughts from a farmer's daughter.
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment