Thursday, September 1, 2011

Passion, Purpose, and Princess Kay

Throughout this summer, I have had an incredible opportunity. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, really. The honor of being selected as a finalist for Princess Kay of the Milky Way was given to me and 11 other fabulous girls in May. As we got to know each other, we discovered that we had great new friends who were all knee deep in the dairy industry, fully immersed in one of our state's top agricultural industry segments.

 What happens when you get twelve girls who are all deeply passionate about the dairy industry competing? Well, simply, one wins. Hold up there, bucko. I mean, that is a statement that I am happy to say, since we have a PHENOMENAL representative for dairy farmers across Minnesota for the next year! :)



However, this didn't come without a wee bit of change in my life. First, I am a person that sets goals. Since I made it about halfway to my goal that I set in 7th grade for Princess Kay, it was a definite turnaround and life lesson. As a person who likes to win, I had to start thinking a lot. One of those thoughts went like this:

"As a person who has a deep-rooted passion for dairy farming, family, and agriculture, am I going to let the disappointment of this goal stop me from investing myself in my passion?"

Of course, that answer is no. Passion means that dairy and agriculture live in me and burn bright everyday. I can't just "stop" loving them. Although it's without a crown and sash like Princess Kay, I have a duty. I can enlighten those around me to the wonders of farm life. I can continue on to a new goal combining other passions- FFA and agriculture. I can continue working to become an agricultural educator. Same passion- different goal.

One more thing I have really had to learn from this experience may be the hardest part. So far, I have pretty much achieved everything I wanted to- apparently it was something that was in God's plan for my life too. For one of the first times, my plan did not match up. The purpose I thought was best for me was not the same as my Father's. Although I have new goals, I still am not sure what this year holds for me. It isn't planned out. The purpose is not yet known. 

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'" -Jeremiah 29:11

The future? Not sure. My next step? We'll have to see. My trust? In the Lord.

Same passion- God's purpose.

Only He knows what's in store for me this year. And.... that's okay with me. I met and will stay good friends with eleven other dairy enthusiasts. My passions will stay the same, because that is who I am. My purpose is yet to be determined, but I can guarantee that there is some really cool path God has in store for me to take. I have learned a lot in the last week about myself and my faith, and I am super excited to see what is ahead!



What are your passions?
How will you incorporate those passions into your purpose, regardless of the outcome of your goals?

Just a few more thoughts from a farmers daughter.
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment